It’s officially summer! And that means finding creative styles that keep your hair out of your face—plus withstand heat and humidity. Enter this stunning fishtail braid by Stephanie Brinkerhoff (@hairandmakeupbysteph). If you already know how to fishtail—this is for you, too! Since Steph is the QUEEN of tips and tricks, we learned how to take our fishtails from “eh” to absolute perfection.
Tip: It’s important to prep your hair by curling to give the braid more texture and volume!
2. Run your fingers through the waves, then add Shubie Surf Beach Spray for grit and texture.
3. Sweep all hair to one side, and apply Braid Balm throughout.
4. Start with a very thin section at the part line, and split into two. Take the left section, cross under, and add it to opposite side. Repeat with the right section.
5. Repeat step 4 a few times, then begin adding hair. Each time you cross a section under, add hair from right beneath.
6. As you work your way down, leave some hair out around the hairline. Make sure to direct the braid back, toward the ear.
Tip: If any baby hairs pop out of the braid, twist them underneath, and continue working all the way down.
7. When you reach the end, clip with a Darby Clip, then pancake the braid for more volume.
Tip: hold sections with your thumb, and push up to take the weight off the braid while you pancake.
8. Secure with an elastic.
Tip: to control flyaways, add Great Barrier Heat Protectant Hairspray.